Monday, December 11, 2017

Community

Greening Disability Politics

One thing is certain; disabled people of all sorts need to be involved in environmental politics, because if we're not part of the conversation, decisions that divide us will be developed. "Nothing about us, without us". As a disabled person who has had an interest in environmentalism for a while, one thing has always struck me - whenever the issue of climate...

National Disability Authority Annual Conference – How Walkable Is Your Town‏?

It has been Government policy for the last fifteen years, and a legal requirement for the last ten years, that mainstream public services would be planned and delivered to include people with disabilities....

My new life in my new apartment

Paul Alford
My name is Paul Alford. I have worked for Inclusion Ireland for the last ten years as a self-advocate. I believe in rights for all people with intellectual disabilities. I believe all people should live as independently as possible .....

Two Hearts Beat as One

Martin in front of Capitol building
Martin Naughton and his team travelled to America to travel the path of Martin Luther King Jr. in a bid to raise awareness of peoples rights here in Ireland. It has been 50 years since the famous Selma to Montgomery march, led by Martin Luther King and 25 years since the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) was passed. 2015 marks the...

Article request: Issue 100 on Social Media

social media icons
Frontline issue 100 is coming soon and the theme is 'Social Media and how to use it effectively'. We are looking for articles based on this theme but we are also looking for stories related in any way to intellectual disability.

Ramblin’ Man (taking the Scenic Route…)

John Byrne Train
How many holidays have you gone on? I’ve lost count, I tend to remember the big ones. Do you travel by yourself or do you go with other people? I go mostly on my own, like if I go around Europe I'd tend to go on my own. Where is the most exotic place you’ve visited?......

Fully accessible facilities at MDI’s ‘Home from Home’

Accessible facilities 1
Muscular Dystrophy Ireland (MDI) is a voluntary organisation that provides information and support to people in Ireland with muscular dystrophy and allied neuromuscular conditions, and their families, through a range of support services.

CITIZEN JOHN

My name is John Feighery. I am 24 years old, I have special needs. I was born with Down’s Syndrome but that has not stopped me from growing into an active member of my community.

Difference Days

Difference Days team
How did it come about that you undertook a garden renovation project at Rosanna? Having done two previous Difference Days in Sunbeam House - one at Killarney Road, Bray (deck, football pitch and gym), and the other in Ballyraine, Arklow (woodland trail), both with staff from Hostelworld.com - I contacted John Hannigan and Bernard Fitzsimons to see if we could help with other requirements...

‘Decongregated Settings’ – Hailed as progress, but seems to forget those with complex medical needs

Jeanette and Cliona
In December last I watched RTE’s Primetime Investigates on Áras Attracta, Bungalow 3. Knowing in advance that the footage would be bad, I debated with myself whether I should make myself watch it or not. The main reason for my unease is that my seventeen year old sister Cliona has profound ID as well as an extreme epilepsy syndrome that no seizure drug has ever been able to influence.